Monday 9 February 2015

Note on blog title

As to the blind part, it is a play on the blind bandit, ie Toph, from Avatar - the last airbender. s2e6.

If you watch the episode, they keep emphasising that Toph waits, listen..... then attacks.

At that is very much my style. This is not first time I have outed myself in the workplace...
nor even the third...

So some advice for those considering.

1. It helps if you have managed to sort out your personal life first.
(whilst I have doubts as to whether my extended family will publicly support,... privately they will, and there are no secrets lurking )

2. It also helps if you have someone to come home to, even if the relationship does not last long term.

3. Use the waiting time to establish that you are in fact competent at the actual work.
( I have been called many things folks, but in actual technical ability, it doesn't usually fly. Helps if you have a good performance appraisal already in as well. Discrimination in Trinidad, has become, at least in my experience more subtle... and will come out in promotion, training and leave approval. Apart from the verbal comments. )

4. This is more of a footnote, do be prepared to be shunned by persons you do not expect to care, and sometimes even other members of the community. ( I'm not saying it hurts any less because it is expected)

But ... on the plus side, you know where you stand behind all the smiles.

Don’t mean the straightforward fear of fiery death. I mean the insidious, demoralizing fear of betrayal, of treachery, of cruelty, of being silenced. Of not being able to trust your neighbour. 

 - Code Name Verity



No comments:

Post a Comment