Saturday 4 July 2015

Witness



I was asked by an ally what I wanted  her to do in the event she witnessed me being physically assaulted.

I would not ask anyone to take the risk upon themselves of getting hurt, trying to help me. When I have made the decision to make myself a target. 

And also, what allows me to absorb their insults is a lifetime of experience as a gay woman. 
As protagonist, I have to attempt to maintain some control over the situation. 

So

  • Provide a level of support with which you feel comfortable.
  • Introduce yourself, (this is the most powerful counteract to the 'dehumanisation' that is being encouraged by the name calling )
  • Maintain your physical distance, but do issue a verbal response ( this has saved me in the past,.. the simple act of calling my name, and asking if I was coming...I was released, because my assailant was made aware someone who knew me and was my ally was watching)
  • Raise an alert, in the event of an escalating situation. 
  • In the event I am alone, call my office

Wish me luck!













No comments:

Post a Comment