Sunday 20 September 2015

An alien

I have always identified as female.
I may not have always been completely comfortable with my body, but that has come with time.

I have never worn make up.
And I keep my hair short.. and it was only at 30, that I coloured it for the first time.
Nailpolish is my one concession, lip balm and moisturiser depending on climates,.. but in those climates, everyone uses lip balm and moisturiser.

It is true, I wear blouses that are pushing shirts
Oh,.. just looked it up, they are in fact shirts, oh well.
But they are very me.

And if you see me outside work in anything but a t-shirt, cargo pants and sports sandals.. it was a special occasion.

And yes, the shoes live in my bottom drawer, and I arrive in sports sandals.
( and my sandals are not readily available in Trinidad )

And no, I don't wear skirts or dresses.
or stockings

And I don't aspire to get married... (can't in this country in any case, and relationships in this place are very hard, where open displays of affection, or even discussing my partner are taboo topics)

And I'll never have kids.

..... or a career. (that used to be a ruse)

Right now...

My health issues are women's issues.

Apart from that...

I AM AN INDIVIDUAL.

With personality and character...

And competent to do the tasks at hand.

Why does the rest matter, and ... I am not intentionally offending anyone.

I was going to post "Helen Reddy - I am woman"
But the truth is, at the moment,.. I feel most alienated by the other women.

I'll live with alien... I am a sci-fi fan.  I can accept being a humanoid alien.

Cause at the moment,.. I'm not sure I'm human.






No comments:

Post a Comment